Icecast 2.4.1 Docs — Glossary
- Source client
- A source client is an external program which is responsible for sending content data to Icecast.
Some source clients that support Icecast 2 are Oddcast, Ices 2, Ices 0.3 and DarkIce.
- Slave server (Relay)
- The slave server in a relay configuration is the server that is pulling the data from the master server.
It acts as a listening client to the master server.
- Master server (Relay)
- The master server in a relay configuration is the server that has the stream that is being relayed.
- A mountpoint is a resource on the Icecast server that represents a single broadcast stream. Mountpoints are
named similar to files (
When listeners connect to Icecast, they must specify the mountpoint in the request (i.e.
Additionally, source clients must specify a mountpoint when they connect as well. Statistics are kept track of by mountpoint.
Mountpoints are a fundamental aspect of Icecast 2 and how it is organized.
- Fallback mountpoint
- A fallback mountpoint is configured with a parent mountpoint. In the event of the parent mountpoint losing connection with Icecast,
Icecast will then move all clients currently connected to the now defunct mountpoint to it’s fallback mountpoint.